Monday, September 6, 2010

My Town Hall Meetings

I believe 'town hall' meetings are a very important means of creating and maintaining an active political community. It provides a forum for discussing on-going and emerging local issues.

If I am elected as Seguin's Ward 1 councillor, I will host political 'town hall' meetings in the Foley Activity Centre every three months of my term. The dates will be kept regular and advertised on this website. Admission would, of course, be free.

The town halls would include...
  • An introductory 5 - 10 minute report from me about council business since the previous town hall, up-coming council meeting business, on-going issues, and emerging issues.
  • A free flow discussion where people are encouraged to express their ideas or concerns about Ward 1 in particular and Seguin in general. Participants may direct their comments or questions to me as councillor, to other attendees, or simply to the group.
  • The main event of each town hall will feature a specific Seguin issue for discussion - identifying problems, generating ideas, exploring options, offering solutions.
  • Finally, I will do a brief wrap-up summary of what was discussed, highlighting the main points influencing my council decisions. I will still make my own decision on every issue. However, your timely facts and arguments will give me the best possible foundation on which to decide.
The purpose of these town halls is to provide civic interaction for all people living or cottaging in Ward 1. You will help guide my decisions in council as a direct result of the best facts and arguments provided by you, as well as consider the various viewpoints of others in our community.

This high level of civic involvement has never occurred before in Seguin. This is my style of politics.

I want people in Ward 1 to get more directly involved in Seguin's political culture. I want you to have a real forum to give voice to your opinions and ideas - not just with a single vote every four years. This is the means for us to express ourselves, listen, and hopefully learn from one another. Let's talk.

I think this is necessary and the best way forward. I hope it will become an everlasting Seguin tradition.